Tuesday, May 27, 2008

In Memory Of ...

Memorial Day has become a very enjoyable holiday for me. It has become a weekend for visiting graves and remembering our relatives who have gone before us. We tried to find David's great great grandfather, Edward Thompson, this year in the Centerville Cemetery. We were unable to to so. However, we were able to visit with Julie and Maddie. They were visiting with her parents who live just a few blocks from the cemetery.


My favorite place to visit on Memorial Day is the American Fork Cemetery where my parents are buried. Rikki and her boys, and Paul, Bree, and their girls joined us there. The cemetery was very beautiful with all of the flowers and flags. Abby, Jacob, Liv, Bree, and I walked around the grounds noticing the different flowers and ornaments that were placed on the different graves. There were many families gathered to honor and remember loved ones. The feeling was very peaceful.

It was very touching to me to watch Paul show his little girls the headstone of his Grandparents, and the little girls great grandparents. He outlined the letters of Paul Gauger and told them that his name was just like it and that he was named after this wonderful man. We will all remember these feelings for a long time. In fact, Abby, wants to know when we can do it again. I think that this is what Memorial Day is truly about . After all, families linked together is an eternal concept. I have been blessed with a very remarkable and very memorable family.

5 comments:

Bree D. said...

Thanks for letting us meet you at the Cemetery, it really was a wonderful time!

Kelly said...

I really missed getting out to honor and remember our deceased loved ones this year. I enjoy going so much and also love taking my kids so they can learn about their ancestors!

Audrey said...

Wish I could have been there. I love your pictures, and seeing all the flowers in the background at the cemetery. Beautiful. We have a great family -past & present.

Linda Clark said...

I have been away and haven't been blogging lately and it's been hard getting back to it. I love the fact that you have always made Memorial Day a family tradition, but can vicariously love the experience now through your great pictures and write-up. Thanks for honoring our parents. It was great to see the pictures of Rikki and her cute family, too. You have a great family. Hope to keep in touch more.

Kathleen Gauger said...

I just love coming to your blog as each time I do, you have some cute new addition to it. Your pictures show so many smiling faces in them. I love it. It looks like you and David are two of the most happy people around. Your famioly are all smiles too. What a wonderful family. Thanks for dropping by last week even for just a quick hello!